You know that old (and sometimes annoying) saying, “Hindsight is 20/20”? It’s been stuck in my head a lot lately, along with that damn “New Normal” phrase that everyone’s tossing around (including…possibly…me, at one point) and honestly, if I hear one more person utter those two words, I think I might grab their earlobe, give it a good, stiff twist and tell them to shove it. But “hindsight” is different. Learning from my mistakes isn’t a bad thing; I actually enjoy it. I’ve been wondering what my life would be like NOW, had I done things differently (in the financial department) in the past…KNOWING that a recession was looming and would change so many lives in so many ways. So, for your reading enjoyment, I’ve come up with my Top 10 List of Things I Would Have Done Differently Had I Known We Were Going To Be In A Stupid, Lousy Recession:
1) I would have never started coloring my hair.
2) I would have learned to cook…better.
3) I would have stashed money away …lots.
4) I would have paid down all of my debt.
5) I would have bought, rather than leased a vehicle.
6) I would have traveled more (..’cuz I can’t now).
7) I would have mapped out a 5 year financial plan (at least).
8) I would have saved a year’s worth of expenses/emergency fund (like Katy..you go girl)
9) I would have never started plucking my eyebrows (that’s expensive to keep up with…especially when you’re Lebanese and you grow hair like Chewbacca.)
10) I would have never started coloring my hair all those years ago. (It’s so worth repeating)
Although I’m sure there are deeper, more profound things I should have done differently to have avoided being in this financial boat right now, these are the biggies for me. But hindsight is 20/20 and we’re all getting used to this new normal, aren’t we?